Many patients with peripheral neuropathy have seen numerous health professionals and have tried a variety of treatment options in an attempt to rid themselves of their neuropathy symptoms.
The primary goals of treatment for peripheral neuropathy include the following objectives:
- Determining and treating the underlying cause of the condition, if possible.
- Controlling and alleviating pain and other bothersome symptoms associated with the condition.
- Preserving function of the affected limbs, hands and/or feet.
- Preventing a significant decrease in the patient's quality of life.
- Selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitors
- Narcotic analgesics
- Topical agents such as capsaicin and lidocaine patches
Many patients, however, find medications are not right for them.
Either the medication does not work or they find the side effects of the medications are as severe and debilitating (ranging from stomach ulcers, memory loss, dizziness and drowsiness to mood swings, suicidal thoughts and drug addiction) as the neuropathy symptoms they are trying to get rid of.
Others have tried nutritional supplements such as B-6, B-12, B1, B2, folic acid, alpha lipoic acid and certain essential oils and have found varying degrees of relief from symptoms of neuropathy without some of the harmful side effects of prescription medications.
Technological advances in medicine and laser/light therapy have resulted in the most exciting new treatment for those suffering from peripheral neuropathy. Our Therapeutic Light Therapy has been shown to be effective in providing long term, drug free relief from the pain, burning, numbness, tingling or imbalance caused by peripheral neuropathy.